Now this was a fun and engaging interview!
Please check out: Episode 68: Graffiti Grrlz w/ Dr. Jessica Pabón-Colón
For today’s episode, we focus on a unique exploration of a population that typically goes unnoticed – women in graffiti. Specifically, we interview Dr. Jessica Pabón-Colón, an a
Assistant Professor of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at SUNY New Paltz, about her book— Graffiti Grrlz: Performing Feminism in the Hip Hop Diaspora. We begin by learning more about Dr. Pabón-Colón (20:40) and the motivation behind her research (23:05). We also discuss the importance of understanding feminism as a verb (26:15), explore her concept of feminist masculinity (28:05), and delve into her experience of studying women in the graffiti art world (35:08). Next, we have a conversation about heterosexism in the graffiti art world (47:00), characteristics of Hip Hop Graffiti art (55:35), and the language of graffiti art (1:03:17). We close by discussing the #FeministsforPuertoRico campaign (1:11:24).
Other Topics Include:
00:30 – Catch up with Ty and Daphne
03:45 – BhD “Oh Lawd” News
18:22 – Introduction of the Topic
1:20:45 – Ty and Daphne Reflect on the Interview
- Graffiti Grrlz: Performing Feminism in the Hip Hop Diaspora – https://nyupress.org/9781479895939/
- Dr. Jessica Pabón-Colón website and Etsy – https://jessicapabon.com/tag/graffgirlz/ and https://www.etsy.com/shop/DiasporaDespierta
- Twitter – @justjess_PhD
- Guerilla Girls – https://www.guerrillagirls.com/#open
- From Blues Women to B-girls: Performing Badass Femininity – https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cc49/9ff222f4a5038417001e8cf26fce2eed21ed.pdf
- All Hail the Queenz-https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rwap20/24/1?nav=tocList